The Jones Act, Seaman, Seadrill Americas & Woods case is about an alleged seaman that filed a lawsuit under the Jones Act. The case, in the United States District Court, E.D. Louisiana ruled on a summary judgment.
A brief summary of the Jones Act, Seaman, Seadrill Americas & Woods case includes:
- This case arises from injuries Plaintiff Donald Woods (“Woods”), a Jones Act seaman, sustained while assigned to the drill ship D/S WEST AURIGA by his employer, Defendant Seadrill Americas, Inc. (“Seadrill”).
- Plaintiff brought this action under general maritime law and 46 U.S.C. § 30104 (The Jones Act). R. Doc. 1 at 1. Seadrill allegedly owned, operated, or controlled the D/S WEST AURIGA at the time of the accident.
- Plaintiff alleges that he sustained severe personal injuries as a result of Defendant’s negligence, including Defendant’s failure to provide him with a safe place to work, failure to give proper warnings, and failure to adequately plan the drilling operation. Plaintiff also alleges that the unseaworthiness of the D/S WEST AURIGA was a proximate cause of his injury.
- The incident leading to injury occurred while Plaintiff was in the service of the vessel operating on the navigable waters of the Gulf of Mexico; thus, Plaintiff claims maintenance and cure as well as monetary damages for lost wages, lost earning capacity, pain and suffering, medical expenses, disability and loss of enjoyment of life.
- For more on the Jones Act Case – See Jones Act, Seaman, Seadrill Americas & Woods
CASE WATCH℠ is a compilation of Jones Act cases nationwide.
Case Watch is provided for the seaman and others as a source of information about various situations in which seaman have been injured while performing their jobs aboard a vessel, ship, platform etc. The seaman have usually sought remedies (unseaworthiness and maintenance and cure) under general maritime law and the Jones Act.
We hope that it is both helpful and informative.
At the Gooch Law Firm, we pride ourselves on providing our clients reliable representation for even the most challenging cases.ad
If you have been injured and/or have been diagnosed with a serious disease (e.g., leukemia, kidney cancer, bladder cancer, mesothelioma) while working as a seaman, and need a Jones act and maritime lawyer to help you file a Jones Act lawsuit, please contact our office at 1.800.672.4916.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP YOU PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS